Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M6TTL vs "Classic" question
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Jan 2002 08:48:31 -0800

On Tue, 15 January 2002, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/15/02 9:56:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > if you need to depend upon your cameras to deliver the proverbial
> >  bacon, then it makes little sense not to use a 1-10-year-old camera, rather
> >  than a 40 to almost 50 year old camera. Things get old, they wear out and
> >  die. Just like people.
> >

> ........not quite, b.d. I haven't run as many rolls through it as a
> professional would but I believe that my 35 year-old M4 (CLA'd when needed)
> is as reliable as my M6. I'd have no hesitation in taking it as my sole body
> on a month-long trek in the African veldt or the Himalayas. The beauty of
> these cameras - and that includes the M6 - is that with maintenance and parts
> replacement when necessary, they appear to have no real limit to their useful
> lives.
>
> Seth           LaK 9

Seth, another issue to consider is being able to get an _identical_ replacement NOW if not sooner in the event of an accident or theft.  Suppose your M4 were to fall into a crevasse or is trampled into the mud by stampeding elephants; would you be able to call a dealer and have an _identical_ replacement in perfect working condition shipped to you in a day or so?  You can certainly get a new body to work with your M lenses but unless the replacement is _identical_ there will be an adjustment period.  Do you depend on the M4's self-timer, will you be confused by the TTL's reversed shutter speed dial, can you adjust to the different viewfinder and RF flare?

These are different issues depending on whether you are on vacation or on assignment.  The value of using a current-model camera is that it's much easier to get an _identical_ replacment when time is money.  As much as I love using my rebuilt Leicaflex SLs, I'm under no pressure to get the pictures NOW and equipment downtime is much less costly to me than to someone who depends on the stuff to feed his/her family.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe