Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:31:22 +0200

Brian,

As far as I know, modern cellphones would not interfere with navigation of a
modern plane. The prohibition is motivated by three factors:

1) tradition/caution: maybe they could interfere, let us ban them just in
case
2) profit: the in-flight satellite phones are very profitable for the
airlines
3) considerations on the ground: because a plane moves so fast, there could
be problems with the hand-off of the call from one cell to the next. It
could result in two cells being "occupied" by one cellphone at the same
time. If enough people did this, it could cause capacity problems on the
cellular network. For this reason cellular operators support the ban.

Nathan

Brian Reid wrote:

> For this reason I am quite certain that laptop computers do not bother
> navigation equipment. I have no knowledge of cell phones, but their
> purpose is to transmit RF signals, so this economic argument would not
> apply.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland