Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo organizational and scanning software
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:18:27 -0700

Darrell,
The answer to your question depends on how much capability you need in each
feature domain.  If you must have all those features in one package, your
best bet is probably Microsoft PictureIt!
(http://pictureitproducts.msn.com/default.asp).  I have not seen the latest
upgrades, but previous versions had a slide catalogue, and the ability to
create simple web slide shows.  It also supports the TWAIN interface for
acquiring images from scanners and digital cameras.

If you want alot of flexibility, you will not find it in any single pagkage.
I have been working on this problem for the last few weeks because I have
tens of thousands of slides that are just sitting in boxes.  Here's my
thinking so far:

Archiving -- Print sequential numbers on those tiny address labels (small
enough to fit on a slide mount).  When you make final selections, simply
stick one of the sequential number labels on the slide mount.  Make a scan
at whatever resolution you will need and name the file with the same
sequential number you assigned to the slide itself.  You can add a suffix on
the file name such as "t" for thumbnail, "w" for web, "p" for print and so
on.  Then, place the slice in an archival sheet and hang in your metal file
cabinet.  Print File and others have sleeves into which you can slide a
hangar that will allow the sheets to hang in your file cabinet.

Organization -- Create a database in your computer filing program of choice.
I use MS Access, because that format is easily accessed by many web server
scripting environments such as Active Server Pages and Cold Fusion.  Beware
of the proprietary photo software packages.  You don't want your data to be
locked in some wierd format, be limited on what kind of reports you can
generate, or be unable to add columns to track new kinds of information.
It's best to roll your own with Access, FileMaker, or whatever you like.
The sequential numbers you assigned to each slide are what uniquely identify
each slide record in the database.  In database speak, these are called
"primary keys".  If your database software supports embedding images, you
can embed a thumbnail into the record, and set up links so clicking on it
would launch Photoshop or the like.  Once this is all in place, you can
search for slides using any criteria you like.  Your slides are physically
stored on pages in simple sequential order, so they are very easy to locate.
Sheet 1 contains slides 1-20, sheet 2 contains 21-40 and so on.  If you try
to physically organize your slides, you will drive yourself crazy.  Of
course, this kind of filing system assumes that most of the time, you will
be using your reference scan for everything, even slide shows, and only
pulling the physical slide rarely for things like prints.  But with printer
technology moving so fast, in a few years I hope to be able to scan once and
never see the original again unless the digital copy is lost.

Slide Show prep -- Refer to the list archives to see our running discussion
on slide show software.  If you are talking web only, there are lots of
choices.  RealSlideShow Basic
(http://www.realnetworks.com/products/slideshow/index.html) pretty good and
the price is right - FREE!.  It can do XGA too, but there are limitations as
noted in my earlier post on the subject.

Scanning -- Nikon LS-4000 connected via firewire to a fast Mac with a 21"
Studio Display!  Need I say more?  I have had good success so far with the
Nikon software that ships with the scanner.  That digital ICE feature really
does wonders with scratches and dust.  I do all the corrections and such in
Photoshop 6 Mac.

Good luck and let me know if I can clarify any of this.

- --Jim Laurel