Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:10:15 -0400

> It is a
> get-around by the airlines who have wanted to get rid of pesky
> handluggage for years.

That's probably true.

> It is exactly the same mentality which bans use of GSM phones on
> planes, and use of GSM phones in hospitals.

GSM?  How about ANY cell phones.  They claim it, and any electronics,
interfere with their navigation systems.  If my little cell phone (or my
Sony walkman) interferes with anything of theirs on the plane, the plane
wasn't designed properly!  That is a complete farce.

> The excuse that you might carry something sharp in your
> handluggage which can be used as a weapon is risible -- I assume
> that there will be no inflight cutlery any more too.

Yes, and you can't in your shoe.  What about a pen?  I could kill you 36
different ways with a simple pen or pencil, much less my belt or a woman's
shoe.  The absurd thing about this is it was NOT the knives that were the
real threat, the same threat that was done with the knives can be done with
a pencil...the REAL threat was that they said they had a bomb, and the
stupid rules in this case are to just do what the terrorists
want...expecting them to just land the plane at some airport.  Very good
risk assessment, I must say.