Subject: [Leica] WAS: Noctilux now: zits and fence on lens.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:29:12 -0700

David Rogers wrote:
>>Over the years I've used played around with some pretty scratched
> up lenses (front and rear elements). I've yet to identify degradation.
Even
> in the worst cases, if it shows up in the end result it's too subtle for
my
> eye. Thus, while even a tiny nick in an element causes me to cringe, it
> doesn't seem to have much effect on the actual image.<<<

Hi David,
How true, as some marks never show up on the final product.

When I shoot baseball little league, I work from behind the catcher and
umpire fence with the lens wide open and the glass as close as possible, if
not the metal part of the lens touching the fence and it never shows up!

Why?  Because the wiring is so close to the wide open lens it just dissolves
into nothing and allows for some great photographs. In the same manner as a
zit on the front element. I use ...280,  400 or 800 for much of this work
making for wonderful real action photos that look like I was standing on the
field without any fence between the players and myself.

I've also shot in this manner with the 100mm on an R8 and the effect is the
same.... no cross marks of the fence in front of the glass!

A shot from last year of my grandson pitching was sold by Masterfile the
stock agency that represents me for, $8000.00 US! :-)  My grandson (11)  and
I have a deal... any photos of him sold we split 1/2 & 1/2. He gets a few
dollars for some treats, he needs to see immediate benefits :-) and the rest
goes into an education fund.

And even though the lens was against the chainlike fence the image was of a
quality and sharpness good for an international product ad campaign.

So my point of this is to agree with you that scratches, zits, chainlink
fence and sometimes dust most times have little or no effect on the quality
of the image. Of course there is always a "perceived by the photographer
image loss" However, most cases it's our imagination. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant