Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft release
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:16:09 -0700

This soft release looks a lot like the one that came with the Rolleiflex
SL-35's back in the '70's.  I had three but am down to one.  It is thinner
and lower profile than the one you are talking about, but it makes the
shutter silky smooth.  I have two SL-35's (mostly in the closet now) and
when I lost one of the soft releases, I tried a few others on the market
back then.  One brand with the concave surface was big and bulky.  Stuck up
way too much.  The other brands (I can't remember brands back so far) were
also not up to the Rollei release.  I now use an R-4 and while it has a nice
dome shaped release, you do have to use your fingertip because it has to be
depressed do deeply into the surrounding shutter speed ring that the flat of
my finger won't work.  Inspired by this thread, I just tried the remaining
release from my SL-35 on the R4.  WOW.  It sticks up barely 1mm and is
slightly less diameter than the R4 button, but it adds a tremendous feel.
Even thought Tom's release looks quite a bit larger, I might have to try one
on the R4.

For the rest of you, see if you can track down one of the releases from the
SL-35 and give it a try.

Aram

This message is made of 100% recycled electons.  No new atoms were destroyed
in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
P. O. Box 159/101 W. 5th. St.