Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 13.5cm f4.5 Hector?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:41:09 -0400

At 09:18 PM 9/20/01 +0000, Edward Mortimer wrote:
>I have recently been offered this lens fairly cheap. I know its pretty old,
>quite big(for a 135mm), and not exactly fast. But has anyone used this lens?
>What are the results like? It seems so cheap for a Leica lens (£75) that i
>thought i should buy it. If the optics are okay it might come in useful. And
>the 135mm is one lens I do not yet have.
>Any feedback most welcome.

I'm not certain what you mean by "quite big" -- Leitz never cottoned to
"telephoto" designs and used long-focus lenses (that is, the lens is
actually 135mm long, less the 28.8mm of the body's optical registration,
while a "telephoto" design, such as the 4/135 Jupiter-11, would be
optically and physically compressed.)

75 pounds sterling is a bit high for a Hektor.  The design is not
distinguished by today's standards, though it is quite a capable performer
- -- soft wide-open, but reasonably sharp stopped down, and with fair
contrast through its range.  If you want a user, I'd look for a decent
Jupiter-11!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!