Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 13.5cm f4.5 Hector?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@turbonet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:23:01 -0700

Ed:

I have the 135 mm f/4.5 Hektor.  I use it for photographs of the kids
playing soccer and softball. This lens has been a good performer for me.

 I believe they were made in the "M" mount from the time the M3 was
introduced (1954) until about 1960.  Other than being coated, I believe
the optical formula was unchanged from the 1930s.

Early versions of this lens used a 36 mm filter, and later lenses used a
39 mm filter.  The 39 mm would be more desirable since it's 1) the newer
model, and 2) you probably already have 39 mm filters.

The optical group can be unscrewed from the lens barrel, and used with
the Visioflex housing.

You should examine the lens carefully for the smoothness of the focusing
helicoid, examine the aperture blades for signs of oil, and examine the
glass for signs of hazing.  The vulcanite material on the lens barrel
has often shrunk with age.

The Hektors are probably the cheapest Leica lenses that you will find on
the market.  You can generally buy a pretty nice one in the US for
around the $100 mark.  B&H in New York currently has one on "7"
condition for $50 USD.

Bill Stanke