Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:20:38 -0700

on 9/19/01 10:00 AM, Rodgers, David at david.rodgers@xo.com thoughtfully
wrote:

> BTW, I think in your last line you really meant, "can't everyone adopt my
> perspective....PLEASE?"

Well actually I didn't mean that.

I mean that the real threat from carry-on luggage is quite small and one I
am willing to tolerate in order to have a real life on a 4 or 14 hour
flight.

I note America West has stopped food service so keeping off carry-on luggage
(what a phrase THAT was) will result in hungry passengers.

Of course it doesn't solve the problem. Going to stop women wearing
high-heels? Men carry fountain pens or ball points? Teeth are weapons.

In ruthless hands that count no cost there is no easy way to stop them.
PERHAPS a well-trained sky marshal will be a factor. I hope so. Emphasis on
well-trained. It will be a while before those folks are an effective force.

Well trained security people are a better answer to controlling what comes
onto airplanes. I don't mind checking my cameras - although I'll be wary of
theft. I DO mind checking books and my computer. I can edit a lot of FCP
footage on my TiBook in the air, do photoshop work.

It's simply not a credible solution to restrict all carry-on materials. I
maintain that it really is stupid for the reasons I have cited above. It's a
knee-jerk response that didn't involve thought either about the nature of
the threat or about the solution.

I'd pay more for high-quality security people who knew what they were doing
with those scanners, were properly paid, and who could do thoughtful
passenger profiling. THAT would make me feel more secure.

Adam