Subject: [Leica] Leica] Re: A different image from New York...
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:29:38 -0400

>There is a lot of red color on the picture, because of light? Or film used?
>Scan?

The lighting in the church was almost all tungsten lighting. There was a sky
light that cast a very narrow beam that was striking the priest's shoulder.
The whole scene was a nightmare from a lighting situation.  The film was
Fuji 800 Xtra(?) with the fourth color layer, but the film isn't magic.
That forth layer makes it easier to balance a scene taken under different
sources, but it doesn't help much when multiple sources are lighting the
scene at the same time.

It's interesting, I usually use a Nikon 990 in really weird lighting because
it seems so reliable.  In this case however, I knew before going in that I
would have ,at best, a minute to setup.  The high end, point and shoot
digitals are just too slow for these types of shots.  In the time it took me
to fire off 6 shots, I'd still be writing the 10X lexar card.  Since I've
gotten the Leica(s) I haven't used the digital.  I shoot negative films
(Portra 160, 400 and 800 exclusively)  My experiences with Fuji have been
very good as well.  I'll be experimenting more with this 800 emulsion.  It
seems finer grained than most black and white emulsions at ISO 100.  I'll be
doing a comparison between this film and the Portra 800 later this month.  I
like to stick to the Portra because I print my own work and I found that the
family balance of the Portra films is great.

Thanks for the comments....

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.