Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital/ x ray
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:15:09 -0400

> It seems to me that the sensor might be covered with a shield of
> some sort-

The actual sensors themselves do have glass (of some kind, UV, colored,
clear) covering the sensors.  This is necessary to protect the actual
sensors, and as a filter.  Why they are difficult to clean is because
cleaning was not taken into consideration when the cameras were designed,
and the glass is quite thin and fragile.  I think you will see cameras with
easily cleanable sensor glass quite soon, as this seems to be a problem that
the manufacturers know about.