Subject: [Leica] Fog/dust on rangefinder
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:20:40 EDT

Re: Dan's statement wondering if Youxin Ye can fix a M3 rangefinder that
has separated.  Youxin has repaired many a screwmount Leica rangefinder
for me.  But when I stumbled across a "bargain" M3 with separated
rangefinder, he told me that this was beyond his ability to repair.  There
used to be someone in the American SouthEast who would repair separated
prisms on M3s, but he evidently isn't doing it anymore.  The only person
that I can think of who might tackle it is John van Stelten, but I'm not
sure if he does it.  My suggestion for a M3 with kaput rangefinder is that
you use it as a dedicated body for an extreme wide angle lens!

Regarding the brightness of M3 finders, I sold a M3 to buy a M6 because I
wanted to be able to shoot chromes more easily.  I had a M3 with a really
good rangefinder, and I have to say that it was brighter and easier to
focus than the one on my M6.  Not only that, but the brightlines in the
finder were much more resistant to flare.

I'm outa here.  Time to go and pick up the shots I did of the memorial
service on Parliament Hill on Friday, using a IIIc with 21mm Kobalux.  It
was a bit of a crap shoot -- I was so far back in the crowd that most
shots were done by holding the camera as high over my head as possible and
snapping away.  We'll see how good my instincts were.

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca