Subject: Re: [Leica] Sinclair article (was For You George)
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:53:23 -0600

> I understand that most if not evey one of the some 15,000 passgengers
> stranded at Gander have spent the entire time in the planes. Not
> allowed off the planes and not fed.
> Michael

You obviously haven't been watching CBC news :-)  They let people off, put
them up and fed them, provided phone lines and more - basically without even
being asked.

Yes, people were stuck on planes for a long time - but with the obvious
security threat, it takes a long time to process more passengers than the
population of the entire town!

Even here in Yellowknife in the Sub-Arctic we had international flight
diverted here. The phone company, hotels, military and all sorts went out of
their way to help - City Hall was overwhelmed by calls from families willing
to put up passengers.

I think we up here in Canada felt as helpless as everyone else not right on
the scene, and totally horrified as well. We did what we could - which in
most part was close down our whole Air Traffic system to take in about 450
US bound aircraft and they passengers and crew - the majority of them
Americans. And provide them with support  when they realised what was
happening to their country. And without being asked, had ready disaster
recovery teams, extra blood supplies, extra medical facilities.

Quite simply, you guys down there are our neighbours

Tim A

Message from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Sinclair article (was For You George))