Subject: [Leica] Pearl Harbor: Setting the Record Straight and VERY OT
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:06:09 -0400

At 06:08 PM 9/12/01 -0600, Greg J. Lorenzo wrote:
>The Japanese declaration of war on the United States was critically
>timed to be delivered just prior to 8:00 am Hawaiian Time. A legal
>nicety that did not occur due to unforeseen delays in decoding by
>intelligence staff at Japan's Washington embassy.

I MUST correct this, as it is one of the major revisionist points, and it
is false.  The Japanese did NOT plan on declaring War immediately prior to
the attack on Pearl Harbor:  their envoys in Washington were instructed to
deliver a message cutting off negotiations at that time.  This was NOT a
declaration of War.  The envoys got in to see our Secretary of State,
Cordell Hull, shortly after the attack -- the Japanese did not know of the
attack, and stood mutely while Hull dressed them up one side and down the
other, the envoys having no idea what had brought on the commentary.

See, inter multa alia, Prange's AT DAWN WE SLEPT for the message text.

The actual declaration of War came hours later.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!