Subject: Re: [Leica] Terror
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:32:46 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/01 5:01:41 PM, darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

>> And the US imprisoned Americans of Japanese extraction.
>

>So?  At the time, that was probably a very smart thing to do.  Easy to
>
>second guess at this point in time.

Oh puhleeze.  It was drummed up undoubtably by the hysteria from the attack
on Pearl Harbour, but the pieces were already in place in California where a
large number of racist Californian's were already chomping at the bit about
the "Yellow Menace." (Helped in no small part by the press at the time).
Smart to throw a whole group into so-called "internment camps"?  Yeah, if you
wanted to seize all the homes and farmland owned by a great number of
diligent, resourceful US citizens--a number of whom ended up in uniform and
fighting for the US armed forces.  (In case you're not familiar try reading
up on the 100th Infantry "purple heart" battalion).

I would hope that any action as a form of retaliation for yesterday's
terrorist act is based on fact and targets those who actually committed and
supported the terrorism.  To lump all Muslims, people of Arab blood or anyone
who "looks" that way, as a suspect or the enemy would be a repulsive and
horrific mistake by any patriotic US citizen.

Kim

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Terror)