Subject: Re: [Leica] we're ok
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:24:46 -0700

At 1:56 PM -0400 9/12/01, Johnny Deadman wrote:
>on 9/12/01 12:56 PM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>>>  the problem is with defining terrorism
>>
>>  Was planting a bomb at the base of the WTC in 1993 terrorism?
>>
>>  Was blowing up a plane over Scotland terrorism?
>>
>>  Was flying a plane into the WTC terrorism?
>>
>>  Was flying a plane into the Pentagon terrorism?
>>
>>  I have NO problem defining terrorism.
>
>so what? you chose the easy examples
>
>Now do the same thing with the difficult ones.
>
>Is the intifada terrorism?
>
>What about the chimurenga resistance in Zimbabwe?
>
>The Chechnyan uprising against the Russians?
>
>The Tamil Tigers?
>
>What about Boer resistance to the British in South Africa at the turn of the
>century?
>
>What about the American War of Independence?
>
>What about the Indian wars?
>
>perhaps you are tempted to single out attacks against civilians?
>
>consider Dresden, Coventry and Hiroshima.
>
>terrorism is in the eye of the beholder
>
>it is not a particularly useful word
>
>all I am saying is that war is a more useful word. much clearer, whether you
>agree with it or disagree with it. in this respect, the way the debate has
>moved on is helpful
>
>--
>John Brownlow
>
>http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Although an e-mail list like this is not a very good place to discuss
topics like this, I would like to add my voice in support of John's
point of view.

An unfortunate aspect of many societies, including that of the US and
Canada, is to believe in their own righteousness. We have to accept
that each society has its own perspective, and allow them the belief
in their own righteousness, even if it conflicts with our own. We
don't have to accept their viewpoint, just accept the fact that they
might have one that conflicts with ours.

re: large scale retaliation -

Yesterday's horror was unleashed by people who most in the world
would consider madmen and terrorists. The leader of these people may
possibly be found and killed, and his direct organization wiped out.
Yet the direct perpetrators obviously felt they had nothing to lose
by sacrificing themselves and thousands of innocents. This attitude
cannot be expunged by bombings or threats of retaliation, but only by
learning about these people and helping and allowing these people to
have something to live for.

This will be my only post on this subject.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com