Subject: [Leica] Opinions: Leica 280mm F2.8 APO Telyt Lens
From: "David E. Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 00:18:23 -0400

I couldn't let this one go by.

My Leica interest came as a need to repalce my Canon FD system. I started
with
the EOS-1 which couldn't really replace my F-1n. Fanally, the R8 and its
family of lenses
has found my wallet. As a result I own an FD 300mmf2.8L, an EF 300mmf2.8L
and
the Leica 280mm f2.8 APO-Telyt. Also the local paper where I work has the
Nikon
300mmf2.8 AF-EDIF. So, I am very familiar with 4 of the 300f2.8's in actual
and extensive
use. Note: the Leica is the non-modular.)

The Leica is very much the best of the lot. It has very good definition
(wide open) and
excellant sharpness. The Canon and Nikon exhibit much more contrast.
Initially, looking
at negatives, the Canon and Nikon "appear" to have better structure, but its
the higher
contrast. The Leica is superb with its close focus ability and knurled focus
ring.

The next best lens is the Canon FD 300mmf2.9L. I find the image quality very
close to
the Leica but with a pronounced increase in contrast. This has been one of
my favorite
lenses for years and it has never let me down. Just lovely!

I find the Nikon to be just about as good as the FD 300f2.8L Canon. Very
similar without
the good feel and balance of the Canon.

The EF Canon 300mmf2.8L has superb handling but the images are definetly not
as good as
the other three. Still a pretty good lens though.

The Leica 280mm f2.8 APO-Telyt is a superb lens!

Regards,
Dave Strang
dstrang@up.net