Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing stage performances--help!
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:43:11 +0300

Hi, Terry

in the end it's up to you what kind of photos you are going to get - I've
done a little of theatre photography, and my experiences are - the faster
the film, the better your pictures are, because flash is a no-no! Try using
a spotmeter (or at least the longest possible lens on camera for metering
purposes), because stage lighting is tricky. It is preferable if your
shooting position is slightly above the stage level - and on one side of it,
because the resulting photos look bad/unfinished if you've allowed the edge
of the stage _cut off_ the performers' legs. If you manage to attend a
rehearsal, a wide angle (and maybe even a flash) is handy - for then you may
be allowed to mingle with the cast.

And have a nice evening!   ;-)

Yours

Martin