Subject: [Leica] Re: OED - OT (was lense (sic) is indeed...)
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:07:31 -0400

2001-08-30-09:04:14 Rei Shinozuka:
> from this, one derives a better understanding of the word "terrific";
> that "terrific explosion" is a thoroughly apt usage, and that "that's
> terrific!" borders on colloquialism, such as "ripping" and furthermore
> has in its company words used with droll irony such as "awfully" in the
> first quotation.  the salinger quote is also gratifying.

Even further OT:

My dad used to work for a guy who thought "horrendous" was a high form
of praise -- apparently conflating "stupendous" and... something.
For years nobody dared correct him, which gives you some idea of the
scary working culture which must have existed.  It was, though, the
era of Men in Fedoras.

  "Bob!  Congratulations!  You did a horrendous job!"

Puts me in mind of the Sipowicz character on NYPD Blue's references to
his "prostrate" problems.

Lense?  That's nothing.  The burr under my saddle is "loose" for
"lose".  SO many computer geeks have that problem.

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: OED - OT (was lense (sic) is indeed...))
Reply from "Michael Gardner" <mlgardner99@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: OED - OT (was lense (sic) is indeed...))
Message from Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com> ([Leica] OED - OT (was lense (sic) is indeed...))