Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:21:03 +0200

> Leicas... what are some ways to prevent others from taking your Leica, say
> while you're travelling

I took a tip from a sailing buddy who always went down town wearing a pair
of workers overalls.  He was never bothered by hustlers, guides, postcard
sellers, thieves and pocket-pickers etc.

Believe me, for some reason, it really does keep them away.  My current
favourite is the Swedish carpenters blue overall with four large patch
pockets and loops for tools. Sort of like a photo vest.

Unfortunately, when using a camera, you have to disguise the disguise by
slipping on a light pullover or jacket.  Otherwise some old lady will poke
you in the leg with her rolled umbrella and tell you to go back to work.
Honest.

OTOH it leads to interesting situations.  I was given a tidy sum of cash to
change all the light bulbs in a large shop. Two hours up and down a
stepladder getting in everybodies way was quite fun.

Alan

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?)