Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux chess photos
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:45:20 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
>
> > >my good friend at work happens to be a International Grand Master Chess
> > >player.
> > >[snip
> > >here are the images:
> > >http://www.shinozuka-family.com/chess
> > >M6 0.85 Classic
> > >Noctilux 50/f1.0
> > >Fuji Neopan 1600 at EI 640, Xtol(1+3) 11.5 min (too flat, still testing)
> > >Exposure: f1.0 1/125-1/250 sec
> > >-rei
>
> Very nice shots there!  Who won?  You left us in suspense ;-)

thanks.
my friend, despite the enormous queen handicap, won.
he made the 2002 US championships to be played in seattle in january.

> Only one small suggestion...some of the shots have too much "nothing of
> interest" at the top, IMO, such as "rules" and "audience hushed".

you're right.  but i have a reason.

with the noctilux i become paranoid that i'll lose focus, so the point of
focus is never very far from the rangefinder focus patch.  i also worry that
by moving the subject to an edge, the subject might drift out of the plane of
sharp focus.

i suppose more practice will allow me to explore the limits of this
remarkable lens.

- -rei