Subject: [Leica] Re: printing hero
From: christian becker <polylux@gmx.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:34:17 +0200 (MEST)

No. I think NOONE can print my pictures like I do. Only I know what I want
to achieve. Therefore I would never ever leave this important part of work to
someone else.
But that is a straight process. I saw it, I took it, I interprete it.
Brian could be ten times smarter than me - yet he would print his picture
from my neg., not mine. Regardless of whether we talk about it long or short.

For me there is nothing like the perfect print. Over-/under, blurred, it
only has to reflect my view. Sometimes at will, sometimes out of mistakes. Yes,
I still hope to make enough mistakes.

William Klein's pictures (e.g.) are not 'bad', they are HIS prints, and I
very much like the way they are. Dick Arentz, on the other hand is a master in
platinum printing. I own his book on platinum printing. He is really an
expert, he has a lot to say about it. But how comes his pictures are so dull, so
average to me? Maybe because he concentrates so much on making beautiful
prints instead of SAYING something.

So if Brian and I would print one of my negs I would bet Brians prints would
be marvelous, but mine would reflect my view and therefore be the only
relevant one. Take it or leave it.
On the other hand I could take Brian's negs as a source and find very
different pictures in them. Mine. My printing, my view.

Printing is not an art. It is at best mastery of a process in view of an
intended result. I see no rules, no better or worse.

PS.:Sorry I left out my name in the mail header by mistake. Maybe mailing is
an art and I should have Brian mail my thoughts?

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: printing hero)