Subject: Re: [Leica] question on M6TTL camera
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:31:45 +0200

Nguyen writes:

> I rewind the film back a bit everytime I load the
> new film into the M6 camera.

Why?  You risk using an exposed portion of film for your first frame or two if
you do that.

> would the rewinding knob be spin back a lot
> or just stay where i stop?

I've never tried it.

> if it spin back, would this mean the film would
> not be flat in the chamber ?

The flatness of the film is pretty constant in any case, since the film guides
are extremely narrow.  I rather doubt that putting the film under tension has
any effect on flatness, especially any _beneficial_ effect.

> this way i know what i have a flat film in the chamber.

Unless you are shooting on a weighted tripod with a diffraction-limited lens,
I'm not sure that film flatness is really a relevant concern for image quality.
I have yet to ever see any image that looked as though film flatness (or rather
unflatness) might have affected sharpness.  There is generally too much else
interfering with sharpness for anything to show.