Subject: Re: [Leica] question on M6TTL camera
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:24:09 -0700

On 8/6/01 at 6:22 PM, mxsmanic@hotmail.com (Mxsmanic) thoughtfully wrote:

> I'm confused; if you have rewound the film, how can you then be advancing it??
> It should be completely disengaged from the take-up spool by then?  If it _is_
> fully rewound, however, you obviously will not see the rewind knob move when
you
> move the advance lever, because the take-up spool is no longer pulling on the
> film.

I see the same thing. When you load the film and advance it once, you are
supposed to then take up the tension inside the cassette by using the rewind
knob to tighten things up. I think that pulls the film backwards a bit and
ensures it seats well in the sprokets and stuff. Then you advance the film twice
more and make sure the rewind knob is turning.

After you have done the little rewind thing the film inside the cassette loosens
up and the rewind knob turns a bit. That's what he's referring to. It's normal.

It took me a few times to learn to load the M6 reliably every time. Now it's 2nd
nature but I remember losing a roll that contained up-close and personal photos
of John McCain during the primaries and I was, well, distraught.

I whined here and got great advice! (thanks again, everyone)

Adam Bridge