Subject: [Leica] Re: My heart say the 35mm f2 ASPH :-)
From: MEBérubé <photog@pivot.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:37:52 -0400

>Simon ALIBERT wrote:
>
> > I'm not yet a Leica user, but I'm going to make the big step pretty
> soon, my
> > question is quite simple, since I've got a 24mm (Nikon), 35mm(Hexar AF), I
> > was wondering which lens I should buy, my heart say the 35mm f2 ASPH, but I
> > heard a lots of good things about the new 28mm f 2 ASPH ...
> > Should I sell my Hexar and bought the 35 Summicron ? Btw the Summicron ASPH
> > is it much better than my fixed 35mm Hexar ? Or go for the 28mm ?
> > Tons of thanks in advance,

Simon ALIBERT,

If you are unhappy with the Hexar as a performer, I would suggest buying
the faster Cosina Voigtländer Ultron 35/1.7 (with ASPH element) AND the
faster Cosina Voigtländer 28/1.9 ASPH (both with their respective LTM > M
adapters if needed) and don't bother looking back. You will easily be able
to do this for much less the cost of just ONE of the choices that you are
considering and even better if you sell the 35mm (Hexar.)  For a body, a
nice used Leica M (I like the M5, but that is my shooting style) or an
older Leica screw mount (or classic LTM copy) or if you like, a Konica RF
or even the much cheaper made Bessa R will do you fine with these fine lenses.

Yes, the Leica tools MAY be a bit better in the bench tests way out at the
corners and they are certainly built with greater quality control, but you
most likely will not realise a $1700 difference in your images above and
beyond the top quality CV tools. (Of course, quality results to price ratio
aside, if it is the more fashionable red dot Leica marque that you seek,
you simply must go forth and send the big bucks to Wetzlar. Many of us do
that (or have done that) from time to time too. No harm in it I suppose as
long as the kids are still fed.) :)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.GoodPhotos.com