Subject: [Leica] mxsmanic and pinholes
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:06:00 +0100

>Jimmy writes:
>
>> That is utter rubbish.

mxsmanic replies

>In what way?  Pinholes have no aberrations or distortions at all; they are
>diffraction-limited.  No glass lens can match that, no matter what its design.
>
>The only real reason to use a glass lens at all is that pinholes require very
>long exposure times.  Glass provides some other conveniences, also, but
>better image quality is not one of them.

Aw come on, you're pulling the LUG's leg. Everyone knows that conveniences
are made of porcelain, not glass.

I know that it is a relatively minor disadvantage, but aren't pinholes just
a little bit restricted by their inability to focus rays of light?

Anyway, I know it's not Friday, but I would like to offer my set of M-mount
pinholes to the rest of the LUG before putting them on you-know-where.

25.4 mm f/2032 Wray Lustrar Serial Nr xxxx2xxxxxxx. The central, important
part of the hole itself is in perfect condition, but the rest of this
collector's item needs attention. USD 3500. Will accept a Rolleiflex SL66
kit plus cash.

95.25 mm f/19050 Rodenstock Sanitigon Serial Nr x. This is as new in box.
Would resolve 100 lpmm if it wasn't for diffraction or grain alienation. USD
0.25. Will accept 90 mm Apo-Summicron-M Asph plus cash.

Regards,
Malcolm

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] mxsmanic and pinholes)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] mxsmanic and pinholes)