Subject: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:03:09 -0600

Dennis:

I haven't seen any responses to this, but I'm on the digest & behind on my
reading, so this may be redundant.

The 180Summicron is also capable of taking either or both APOtele-extenders.
At least one gent on the list (who's probably momentarily overwhelmed with a
project) stacks the two extenders on his 180f2 (180, 1.4, 2.0 in that order)
to get a Big Fast Lens.

Leica, in their Program Catalog of last year, said that with the 1.4APO on
the 180f2, the lens had to be shot at apertures above 2.8, as the
tele-converter was computed for the 280f2.8 and the f2.0 could show some
vignetting. The current Program Catalog does not include this disclaimer
(although the current one also advertises the 28f1.2, a typo repeated
throughout the copy on the actual lens - the 28f2 - so it could just be
another brilliant Leica advertising/promotional gaff) [ed. note: why does
Leica have such great brochures for their binoculars, but their camera stuff
is inevitably some bizarre transliteration of the original High German text?
Does that appeal to us as buyers?].

Reports on the 180Summicron say that it is a spectacular lens, but almost
invariably point out the difficulty in hand-holding it, even with the
grip/palm rest. Erwin states that its performance even on a monopod will be
compromised. The depth of field on it is, again nodding to Erwin, among the
shallowest of any lens, including the Nocti [has anyone done the DOF
computation not based on distance, i.e. "@ six feet," but by magnification
"so her head is always the same size"? This harks back to a link from two
weeks ago...]. In combination, the weight, size, and DOF are the factors
which contribute to Erwin's insistence on a tripod for the 180Summicron.
Other possibilities include a chest-mounted minitripod, a belt-mounted
monopod, a gyroscope, or a mini-Steadicam. Or you could set the thing on the
ground, I guess. I would like to volunteer to try this lens in all possible
configurations, in case you buy it but don't have the time to test it
thoroughly.

Christopher Bokeh Quinn
Much much more on-topic than either the Filson or Mountainsmith posts

Replies: Reply from David Degner <ddegner@morris.com> ([Leica] New Web site)
Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders)
Reply from "tdschofield" <tdschofield@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders)
Reply from "tdschofield" <tdschofield@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders)