Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:12:59 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > Digital image capture is NOT based on "information
> > theory" ...
>
> Information theory is the quintessence of digital image capture,
> and indeed of
> all digital processing of all kinds.

That's completely wrong.  Show me ANYWHERE that substantiates this claim.

You claim to be an expert in a field you don't even know what it is?

Information theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with measures of
information and their application to the study of communication, statistics,
and complexity. It originally arose out of communication theory and is
sometimes used to mean the mathematical theory that underlies communication
systems. Based on the pioneering work of Claude Shannon (1948), information
theory establishes the limits to the shortest description of an information
source and the limits to the rate at which information can be sent over a
communication channel. The results of information theory are in terms of
fundamental quantities like entropy, relative entropy, and mutual
information, which are defined using a probabilistic model for a
communication system. These quantities have also found application to a
number of other areas, including statistics, computer science, complexity
and economics.

Try again.

> It's rather like saying that no lens can be faster than f/0.7.

Completely different.  Again, showing your lack of understanding.

> > If you really believe yourself, then show me
> > that you can design a scanner that can reliably
> > scan a line of .009mm with a sensor that is
> > .009mm without doing some technique to (effectively)
> > increase the sample rate.
>
> I've just explained what is possible, not what is actually done.

That's your idea on how to designs things...they only have to work "some" of
the time?  How foolish.

> I suppose that
> if some engineers believe that certain things are not possible,
> out of a lack of
> familiarity with theory, they'll probably never design scanners
> that achieve
> those things.

Er, no.  It's like saying you can push 1000amps through a .031 wire.  There
are some physical properties that have nothing to do with anyone's
understanding of theory.

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)