Subject: [Leica] Re:Foma and EFKE
From: christian becker <8fps@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:12:41 +0200 (MEST)

>does anybody have any experience with the Efke films?  I heard there was
>some quality-control problems but I  never talked to anyone who actually used
these films.

Yep. I am living in Berlin and buying my stuff from Fotoimpex. I tested some
EFKE 100 bulk two years ago. I liked the tonality (due to huge silver
content?). But found out when carefully inspecting the negs with a 8x loupe that
the negs had small cracks (the Film base is produced by ORWO) all over them,
all directions. Seemed to me the film was stored in a dry place. The best dev.
ist Calbe A 49 (available through Fotoimpex).

I use however Foma 400 film (in bulk also) a lot. It is the film I have
settled with after using tri-X (which has undergone some changes and is by far
not anymore the emulsion that I like in the 8oth), HP5plus, Agfapan 400 and
many others. Grain and tonality is exactly what I was looking for. Dev. (in my
hand) is 10:15 min in Calbe A 49 (20°C) for IE 400.

Christian Becker