Subject: [Leica] college
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:22:51 -0400

David, I hesitate to give any advice as to college as each persons journey
is unique.  However, not giving advice would be worse as those of us who
have been breathing many decades longer than you inevitably have some
experience which can be relayed and hopefully listened to.

B.D.'s advice to study any other coherent discipline with many branching
elective paths will give you your best foundation.  We are really in the
equivalent of another industrial revolution with no clear idea of where
anything will end up. Neuromancer by Gibson anyone?  The best way to stay
standing is to build a strong foundation of interdisciplinary skills with
knowledge of language, literature, science, history, poetry, and politics.
In your professional life you will probably do three or four completely
different things even if you stay in the same field.  Say photographer,
photojournalist, assistant editor, editor.  Shoot, I've been a photographer,
chemist, and homebuilder to name a few paths I've trod.

Regarding photojournalism I would strongly recommend you spend some time at
the following link,  http://digitaljournalist.org/contents.html ,especially
articles by Bill Pierce or Dirk Halstead.  Both of these individuals have
been through the wars really.  Read the archives to get an idea of how much
your proposed career has changed in just the last three years.  Another good
site to peruse is www.asmp.org .  Lots of good information about current
wars with publishers.

just another few pfennigs,

Don