Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #175
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:20:09 -0700

on 7/22/01 9:58 AM, Leica Users digest at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us thoughtfully wrote:

> I think you are starting to understand...but not quite.  The lenses
> may/could work fine.  But the fine details and micro-bokeh-fuzzy-artsy stuff
> will be lost......  thjerfore a $2 lens would equal in quality a $10000
> lens.  And therein is the point..... a Digital Leica camera is basically a
> waste of money, IF you are trying to get more than what analog film +
> scanning can do for you.....
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>
> exiting glass wont work or wont
> work well.

This seems sort of backwards to me. It's like at the dawn of digital audio
recording saying that using high quality microphones will make bad sound.
Maybe they SAID that but it's not true now. And it won't be true as pixel
densities rise and sensativity increases.

Just as a data point - I don't think many astonomers use film any more.
Aren't the sensors for the Keck quality instruments all digital? Now THOSE
are lenses and the sensors are the best they know how to make. Okay - you
don't want to cool your camera with liquid nitrogen! Picky picky! <grin>

These arguments are difficult because the pace of technological development
is so rapid right now. Sure the sensors for HDTV will drive us at first -
but the news photographers want digital film and a fast hose to get it out
of their camera and into the computer where it can be crunched and
downloaded.

I want that too. I'd love to have an M with a digital back - one for B&W and
the other for color. It would just be soooo wonderful. I get along a LOT
better with my computer than with chemistry. Trust me.

Adam

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #175)