Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 rangefinder adjustment?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:59:13 -0600

The answer is maybe. It is very simple and inexpensive. You just move the
near focus limit to allow the rangefinder arm to move further. Sometimes
there is extra travel there that will allow it to couple down to 0.7 metre,
sometimes not.

Take off the lens, turn the camera upside down and gently push the
rangefinder roller in and out. You should be easily able to see the travel
limit adjustments. The eccentric cam adjusts the far limit and the long thin
metal tab adjusts the near limit. Gently bend the long thin metal tab to
allow the rangefinder arm to travel further. Do not leave the adjustment so
that the force of stopping the arm is in the internal viewfinder mechanism.
Make sure you readjust the long thin metal tab to stop the rangefinder arm.
Also do let it travel very much beyond 0.7 metre as you do not want it to be
hitting internally.

As I said earlier, sometimes the M3 rangefinder mechanism will have the
extra travel, sometimes not. There are no disadvantages if done correctly.

John Collier