Subject: [Leica] Re: Fresh Meat, cropping & easels
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:39:42 -0700

At 07:42 AM 7/19/01 -0700, Dave Hillman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>With that for an introduction, my question has to do with cropping. The
>guy
>at Keeble & Shuchat who sold me the Leica showed me some nice BW prints
>from
>his trip to Cuba - all of which are full frame.

That was Paul Wood. Nice guy. Long time personal friend of mine.

>Habitually, do you crop images when printing them?
>
>Dave Hillman

I always make a first print full bleed, that is, the entire image on a
piece of 8x10 paper. My negative carrier cut out is 25x37 so I get the
whole thing. Obviously blank space top & bottom from landscape perspective.

Same with 6x6 (I print an 8x8) and 4x5 (which fits 8x10.)

Then I use a cropping tool, which is basically two L's forming an open box
in the center. I use this on the print to find the real photograph. I then
draw inside the L's, on the print. It is amazing how a mediocre photograph
can be turned into a dynamite photograph by cropping off superfluous
distracting garbage. I use this marked print to set my easel blades for
whatever size print I am making.

I have a 16x20 and 20x24 Beseler four blade easels. They have white tape on
top of the blades about an quarter of an inch in from the inside edge. This
makes it easy to crop as you can see the image that falls outside of the
cropped area. The quarter of an inch black square between the white tape
and the image portion to be printed easily shows the cropping border.

Very long blades like those on 16x20 & 20x24 easels have a little
difficulty staying parallel after moving to a new position. This is true on
all large easels. These Beseler easels have two little screws on top of
each blade that allow quick and easy adjustment of the blades should they
become slightly misaligned. This is a nice feature.

IMHO,

Jim

Replies: Reply from Dave Hillman <dave@hillmanimages.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Fresh Meat, cropping & easels)