Subject: RE: [Leica] Fresh Meat
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:00:51 -0700

Welcome aboard, Dave - sounds like you've been one busy guy lately.

As far as cropping is concerned, I habitually do it if the photo needs it - otherwise I habitually print full frame.  I'm not a full-frame purist any more, though I did spend some time with a rat-tail file and an Omega neg carrier back in my chemical days.  For me there's nothing like the sober second thought of staring at an image for an hour trying different croppings - I'm just not good enough to get it perfect in the camera, especially if I'm snapshooting action.  Most of the time I crop at least a bit.

I'd almost go so far as to say that a slavish insistence on full-frame printing is an artistic affectation, but I won't because some people use it as a legitimate limitation and standard for their own performance.  Used that way it can force you to become better behind the camera.  I think shooting with Leicas makes it even harder to be a full-frame purist, simply because the frame lines aren't 100% at all times.  It's a lot easier with a Nikon F.

Paul