Subject: Re: [Leica] What should happen to frame counter when M4-2 is unloaded?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:59:44 -0600

I did not see an answer so here goes. It is not serious and will not cause
any problems other than not knowing what frame you are really at. The M
camera was basically cancelled when the Canadian plant stepped in and saved
the day. The new model, the M4-2, had a few teething problems at first as
they trained mostly new workers in the assembly of M cameras. Curiously, one
of the bugs was exactly your problem! The spring which resets the counter
had its hook spread too far apart and this would hang up inside. Whether
your particular camera is suffering from this or a bit of dirt gumming
things up, who knows. The top plate will have to come off and that requires
special tools so I would not do it yourself. As the camera is just on the
other side of brand new, it will probably need a CLA as well.

John Collier