Subject: RE: [Leica] .58VF & 90mm
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 22:07:11 -0400

> This is one of the reasons I enjoy using the 60 Elmarit as a standard lens
> on my SLRs. It goes from infinity to 0.5m with a 90º turn,
> whereas with the
> 50 Summicron R it takes a 270º turn to accomplish the same thing. Give me
> the opportunity to be fiddly about focus and I'll make the most of it. <g>

Of all the arguments I've heard in favor of the 60 over the 50 R, this one
makes the most sense to me.  I played with an R8 and 50/1.4 (latest) in the
shop a couple weeks ago and found the travel in the (rather stiff) focusing
collar to be so long from min. to inf. as to be bothersome.  Guess my 50
summicron-M has spoiled me this way.  If I have to _work_ to get the thing
into focus (twist twist twist), it begins to take my energy and attention
away from the shot.

Dan