Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 flare help
From: "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:20:13 -0700

>  >I had my first experience with flare while doing a shoot outside
>>yesterday. I was using my M6 .72 with the 50mm Summicron. The focus
>>block turned white and made focusing impossible.
>>My question is what can be done about it? Anything?
>>I used my available hand in every conceivable place around the
>>rangefinder to shade it and prevent the flare but nothing worked. Did I
>>miss something or is this just what happens when the planets align in
>>the incorrect order?
>>Any answers, suggestions or fixes would be most appreciated.
>>Lea
>

>The thorny subject of RF patch flare raises its ugly head! Unlike some
>fortunate Luggers who've never experienced this phenomenon, I have, and
>offer the following solutions:
>
>- Cover the RF window with your finger (Are you sure you covered the right
>window: the one with the vertical bevels? This usually does the trick.)
>- Shift your eye behind the VF
>- Change the camera position slightly
>- Move to another viewpoint
>
>If the above methods fail, swear like all heck, grumble about how a $2000
>camera should have no flaws, gnash your teeth, stomp your feet, then pull
>out your Olympus P&S and get the shot.
>
>That's what I do.
>
>Guy
>
>P.S. I seem to recall that some fellow is selling a tiny "filter" that one
>puts on the RF window and that supposedly eliminates RF patch flare. He's
>the same guy who makes "the sling." I'm sure some Lugger can post a link to
>his site, should you be interested in such a thing.

I'm glad some one made this post. I've had my M6 for a week and
right away I had this flare problem and thought there must be
something wrong. I have a couple of times done just what has been
suggested above, cover the middle widow and try and focus.
At least I now know this is a built in problem and not a flaw in my
Leica. I might add that in years of shooting with an M3 I can't say
this was a problem though I'm certain it must of cropped up now and
then. But the occurrences must of been so far apart that it never
stuck in my mind as something to worry about.

Michael