Subject: [Leica] Re: R6.2 Dead (Perhaps likely)
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:40:48 +0800

>Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:02:56 +0200
>From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] R 6.2 Dead ?
>> According to a friend in Europe, the 6.2 was just discontinued.
>AFAIK it has been a while that the R 6.2 was no longer manufactured. It is
>sold from existing stock. And if that dries up, well...
>Pascal
Dear Pascal and Stephen,
Here in Hong Kong back in 1997 (when we were still a British colony)
Schmidt listed the R8 at HK$21,000 (divide by 7.8 and take off 30% to get
approx US$ street price)and the R6.2 at HK$20,700. In the latest Schmidt
price list (Feb 2001) the R8 is listed at HK$13,000 (and can be bought for
HK$9,000 at dealers with Leica Schmidt warranty or HK$8,500 for Gray market
(or what we locally call "water goods" - unofficial imports)). OTH the
latest list price of the R6.2 is HK$18,300 and there are none in stock.
Some of the reduction in list price can be attributed to the falling Euro,
but the growing premium for the R6.2 (and its unavailability) over the R8
indicates to me that the R6.2 is being phased out if not already gone. I
personally haven't heard or seen any official announcements but I think the
writing is plainly on the wall. Too bad - it was a well made camera in a
size which I liked.
Howard.