Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:48:38 -0400

Hi,

I just purchased an R8, and have been meaning to send a comment or two about my
experience to the LUG. Perhaps this is as good as time as any to do so. I love it. I
also got the 28-70 zoom. I think that with the $200 rebates and a 10% Leica Day
discount at my local dealer that I got a good deal. Leica is, at the moment, also
adding their two year factory warrantee to the three year passport one for a total
of five years. I'm happy.

There is a Light House to the south of where I live which I have used as a test
subject for many years. I shot it with my new rig using Velvia. My personal system
test it to have an 11x14 Ciba made from a slide. I have a wife who is both long
suffering and supportive of my photographic efforts. I had the print of the light
house, which truly is spectacular, on the dining room table. Judy took one look at
it and said, "Wow, did you use a tripod?" Photography, to me, is about light and
lenses. People might want to think about what they are saying when they say, "The
only real reason to buy this camera is the lenses!" :-)

For me it came down to a choice between a Canon EOS 1v with a 28-70/F2 or the Leica
R8. I shot with the 1v for a month. I'm not going to say that the 1v isn't an
excellent camera. It is. I've used Leica glass all my life, and I simply prefer it.
I had a good chance to compare the R8 and the 1v head to head. The R8 doesn't have
autofocus. There is no way around that, and it really does put Leica in a tough
market position. Some kind of focus confirmation might at least give them a selling
point.

I was quite surprised at how capable the R8 actually is. I particularly like its
ergonomics, and to me that is another compelling reason to buy it. I am a computer
professional.  I think that it is a bit of an urban myth to say that they the R8
lacks autofocus and OTHER major features. It simply lacks autofocus. In a way the R8
may be it's own worst enemy. It has a very simple user interface which in a sense
"hides" a bunch of complex features. I wonder how many of the R8's critics have ever
shot with one, and I suspect that people sometimes confuse a complicated user
interface with a complex feature set.

I think that the 1v and the F5 are great cameras. If  I were rich I'd buy them both.
I think that the R8 is getting an undeservedly bad rap. It's a great camera.

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)