Subject: [Leica] travel plans reply (long)
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:47:28 -0400

Ken,
To keep this sorta on topic an m-6 is a great trail camera when you are
scrabbling uphill to see a waterfall and is great for inconspicuous snaps of
the locals.

The I75 corridor is home to many, many choices.  Close to home if you like
airplanes you have the airforce museum at Wright-Patterson AFB outside
Dayton, Ohio.  Should you have a weakness for the ponies there is Lexington,
Kentucky with numerous sights related to thoroughbreds.  Further south from
approximately Knoxville, TN to Chattanooga, TN you have waterfalls beyond
measure both large and public or small and hidden.  You can veer east and
run the Blue Ridge Parkway. If that is your plan I wouldn't go any further
east than Asheville, NC.  In that belt there is genuine country folk,
architecture, real Cherokee sites to kitsch at Gatlinburg and Dollywood.

If aquariums are interesting to you then the one in Chattanooga is quite
good.  Just outside of Chattanooga there is the must see tourist trap "See
Rock City".  If the civil war has any appeal to you then the battlefield at
Chickamauga is quite good.  Further east several hours are some quite nice
parks including Tocoa Falls.  For a feel of the current rural south then
take GA 41 from the Chattanooga area to Atlanta.  There is some interesting
things to see in Rome, GA including a great folk art site.  Interested in
space? Then detour to Huntsville, Alabama.  Sweet tea is mandatory however.

In Atlanta the MLK sites including "Sweet Auburn" are a good choice for
getting a feel for the civil rights movement. Also in Atlanta the local
Museum may have some decent photography up in its downtown sister site.
South of Atlanta you have choices from architecture  in Macon to visiting
Andersonville prison from the civil war.  All the county seats are worth a
stop for either the people, or "Americana".  Milledgeville would be a good
choice for a one stop experience.  Further south I can REALLY recommend both
the Okefenokee Swamp and Cumberland Island.  If you choose to go to
Cumberland you must make reservations ahead of time as slots are limited.  A
distant second choice would be any of the Georgia barrier islands.

Give me a off-line for more info around Atlanta.

Don