Subject: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:15:50 -0700

David,

I am surprised that, as a previously working commercial photographer, you
don't know more about copyright. At least that the moment a work is
completed, it is automatically copyrighted by the creator. There are no
"levels" of copyright. But you may register a copyright which gives you
greater leverage in court. You may also give your copyright over to someone
else. The Internet is filled with copyright and trademark info.

Let me relate your question to a recent true story.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (R&R HOF), in Cleveland, is an extraordinary
building. It was designed by someone who holds the copyright to the design.
It was built by someone (someone meaning companies) and the result is the
R&R HOF.

The R&R HOF uses its shape and uniqueness as a trademark. So now we have
both copyright and trademark to worry about.

A photographer, Chuck Gentile, photographed the R&R HOF one evening, with a
beautiful dusk sky and the lights on in the mostly glass building. Stunning
photograph so Chuck makes a poster and starts selling it. It is doing very
well when the R&R HOF gets an injunction against him and he has to stop
selling the posters, and they are impounded.

Chuck takes it to court and the injunction is lifted.

The R&R HOF then takes Chuck to court for trademark infringement, copyright
infringement, etc.

To make a long story short, Chuck won and the panel of judges stated that
Chuck was in no way infringing upon the R&R HOF trademark or copyright and
that further legal avenues pursued by the R&R HOF would be pointless.

Chuck is happily selling his posters.

The R&R HOF should actually be happy as it is free advertising. Minus their
ill spent court costs.

The second thing I will say is that nearly all use of photographs other
than advertising, where, for instance, a bottle of perfume is photographed
laid on "the" sculpture and the resulting photograph used as an ad for the
perfume, are editorial in nature. A photograph of "the" sculpture can
appear in a book, on the book cover, in or on a magazine, hanging in a fine
art display, as a poster, etc., without worry of legal action. This is all
editorial use (a photograph of the sculpture, not "the" sculpture) and is
allowed. It is not infringing upon the creator's copyright. Don't use the
sculpture in any photograph that is an advertisement.

The real question is, does US copyright law protect foreign produced and
owned works?

You'll have to look up that one.

One more story. Near here, a couple had a litter of dogs (spaniels I
believe) and when they were a few weeks old, the wife took a photograph of
the dogs, all in a row facing the camera with the husband behind the dogs
and his arms outstretched and holding the end dogs, gently holding them
together. This became a very saleable photograph. A couple of years later,
a guy made a small sculpture, using the photograph as a model. He mass
produced the small sculptures and sold them. They sold well. The dog
owner/photographer sued the sculpturer and won big time. Cease and desist
and pay lots of money. This was not editorial use of the dog photograph!

No more stories...

Jim

Replies: Reply from Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions)