Subject: RE: [Leica] use of ND filters
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:58:32 -0400

Mark,

> I said you don't want ND filters.
>
> Say your meter reading outdoors at a 50th was f8.
>
> Look at your flash. How far will f8 take you.(Full manual) 10 feet?
>
> That means you can't shoot at 15 feet because you'd have to set
> your lens at 5.6.
> You'd be over exposing the picture just with the ambient light.
> In other words the flash doesn't even go off and you've got an
> over exposed picture.

Right.  I was thinking a two-stop ND filter would bring your ambient
exposure down to f4 at a 50th, but it would also cut back on the amount of
flash reaching the film, too, so setting your flash as though you are
shooting at f4 would not be accurate--you're still really at f8.

Okay, guess I have no choice but to get an R8.  Thanks! :)

Will accept any excuse,
Dan