Subject: [Leica] Re:Metol
From: Carl Cook <clcook@halcyon.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:55:24 -0700

I used Dektol for years before developing (pun-ha) a sensitivity to it,
except mine manifested itself in extreme nausea, and a feeling of death
itself that lasted for hours. I was tested by my doctor, who spent quite a
bit of time talking with a toxicologist at Kodak. They came to the
conclusion that I had become sensitive to metol.

Because I insisted on using the stuff because I like the tones it produces,
I was forced to wear a painter's mask -- for almost 15 years -- in the
darkroom. A squirrel-cage fan mounted into a hood over the sink was
ineffective.

About a year or so ago, I discovered Ilford's Multigrade developer, and if
I dilute with water  not quite as much as the directions recommend, I get a
pretty good range of times on Ilford papers -- both RC and fiber, and on
Kodak, Forte and Agfa papers as well.

There is nothing like a metol free life!

I have never met anyone who has the same reaction to Dektol (metol) as I
do. Others I have talked to mention the same (skin) reactions you do. Even
the fellow at Kodak said my reaction to the stuff is unusual.

Carl Cook
Olympia, WA

I have also acquired a similar sensitivity to used fixer. A good whiff and
I'm headed for the toilet bowl. I just change fix often and have not had a
problem in years.

clcook@halcyon.com
http://www.halcyon.com/clcook/photowks.htm