Subject: Re: [Leica] 80mm Summilux age (more ...)
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:22:49 -0700

The SUMMILUX-R ROM lens has been available since 1998. From what Erwin Puts
writes in his Compendium (P166-167), While not speaking directly regarding
the 1983 vintage and the new lens he feels that Leica has made "progress in
many areas.  I interpret that to mean that SOLMS recent designs reflect many
design improvements over the last twenty years.  In writing about this class
of lens (75-90MM) he suggests "the latest or current Elmarit 1:2.8 90mm
would be the obvious choice".  Further, he writes "The new Apo-Summicron-M
ASPH 2/90mm at 1:2 provides an image quality that the 75/80/90 offer at 1:4
or smaller."   Newer, generally is better, I conclude.

He doesn't discuss the Summilux =R80mm ROM lens specifically, though.

Replies: Reply from "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] 80mm Summilux age (more ...))
Message from "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] 80mm Summilux age ...)
Message from "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] 80mm Summilux age (more ...))