Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL questions
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:56:18 -0600

Oh poop! Another tardy reply. Sorry.

Thankfully I did not have to wait for my 25th anniversary for new Leica
gear. In order to use the M for fill flash outside, you have to use SLOW
film to keep the shutter speeds low enough; and, you have to be close to the
subject as it is not that powerful a flash. After that it is pretty straight
forward. I would set it to TTL and then set the flash compensation function
and camera to get the final result you want. One example:

Somewhat dim background, properly exposed main subject - Set the camera to
under expose the background by half to one stop (chrome) or one to two stops
(neg). Set the flash to half to one stop under if the subject is in the same
light as the background. If the subject is in lower light than the
background then set the flash to normal.

Flash exposure is very easy if you think of the final result YOU WANT as
opposed to trying to figure out settings that work. The flash functions just
the same as your aperture or shutter speed settings. Take light away to make
it dark or add light to make it light.

Cheers,

John Collier