Subject: RE: [Leica] 28mm M Lens recommendation (WAS: 35mm R Lens recomm
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:13:45 -0400

Andre,

>            It's easy to get addicted to a 28mm but, system wise,
>            it's too close to your 35mm at the sort of prices LEICA
>            equipment commands. I make this comment with those
>            "stellar" reviews of the LEICA-M 24mm asph in mind.

I've considered the esteemed 24 asph heavily for the reasons you mention,
but keep falling back on the 28 for the ability to frame within the finder
(I've never used an external finder, but I don't imagine I'd be a fan) and
the lesser distortion.  I must admit to being a huge Winogrand fan, and that
has me eager to try my hand at street shooting with the 28.  If I get along
well with it, I may just sell my 35 asph--and so I was leaning toward the
faster 28 (Leica or Cosina) just in case.

I'm intrigued by the 28 elmarit, though.  A compromise in price between the
fast Cosina and Leica 28's, and yet likely producing images
indistinguishable from the newer summicron.

Dan