Subject: RE: [Leica] Why does it cost more for USA Leicas than grey market
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:46:50 -0400

> For all of the business experts out there on this list... I'm surprised no
> one mentioned one of the biggest factors for why U.S.A authorized
> equipment
> cost more than gray.
>
> Advertising, Advertising, Advertising, Advertising .....
>
> While you and I get essentially no benefit out of it, U.S.A Leica dealers
> should when Leica ads are run in major photography magazines, or
> when Leica
> U.S.A. sponsors local events, shows, demo days etc... etc......
> (Or  if Leica U.S.A pays co-op advertising....  A practice where the
> manufacturer helps pay for a local ad featuring their product)
>
> So U.S.A dealers have to pay a bit more for the product and we do to....

They shouldn't have to.  If this is the largest Leica market, they should be
selling more Leicas then, and the additional profits from selling more of
them should pay for "all the above".

They are losing more sales by charging more, than they are gaining.  I would
bet that a LOT of people on this list do NOT buy USA items, they buy used,
or gray market.

Replies: Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Why does it cost more for USA Leicas than grey market)