Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 12:15:19 -0400

> The issue becomes what the word "presence" means...  Most if not
> all of the
> off shore manufacturers have a US company set up to handle their US
> sales.... that entity is distinctly and legally different from the
> manufacturer, who is a different company....

This sounds like what Mamiya tried to do years ago, and had customs deface
thousands of cameras because they claimed the trademark in the US was
different than abroad.  That was complete BS.  Mind you, that is not allowed
today...

> Leica GMBH is a separate company from Leica USA.  Therefore Leica USA is
> (probably) nor required to service items sold by Leica GMBH outside their
> franchise area ( USA ).

As I said, I believe they are required to service them, they just make it
very unpleasant for you.

> This is the basis for the Nikon USA stand on gray
> market import..... At one time, I heard Nikon USA would not service, for a
> fee, items that were not bought in the USA.

I believe Nikon has to service warranty repairs, it's just they won't repair
it after the warranty is up, which they can refuse to do.

JMO...