Subject: RE: [Leica] Photodo MTF ratings
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:28:29 -0400

> I'm not into MTF charts but what has always shown up on the film
> with Leica glass, over the years, has "looked like" better
> contrast, better edge, more shadow detail. Does anyone quantify
> these "appearances" with numbers? Is it possible?

Good point, George, which is why I own the 35/1.4 asph.  What's curious to
me, however, is that, for the most part, the MTF numbers do match up with
(many, not all) of these other criteria.  The photodo numbers for all the
other Leica M lenses certainly shine.

Makes me wonder if they didn't get a bad 35 sample.  It's been known to
happen (ask Dick Hemmingway; he went through 2 or 3 before he got one that
was right).

Dan