Subject: [Leica] Re: HexarRF and Leica Lens Compatibility - A Strange World
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:26:08 +0800

Dear Luggers,
Emanuel Lowi just mentioned that the mystery of the Hexar backfocus
inconsistency is still not sorted out. Here is more grist for the mill.
Next Saturday is my 58th birthday (Happy Birthday to me!) and two days ago
at the suggestion of Dr. Joseph and distant input from Tom A (get well soon
Tom) I purchased as my present a 75 Summilux - primarily for use on my
M6HMTTL - I think the two were really designed for each other. I have just
gotten back my first roll of film, partially shot in the M6 HM TTL and
partially in the Hexar because I couldn't resist seeing if the German lens
would focus accurately on the Japanese body. Sometimes you have to laugh at
life's foibles!  You won't believe it - but the 75 wide open at nearest
focus on the Leica focuses about 2 inches too far away - that is the focus
point is in front of where it should be, and on the Hexar - the 75 focuses
just fine! So, now I have situation where the 75 wide open and close up
works better on a 0.60 rangefinder than on a 0.85 one. Also on the Hexar if
one focuses the wide open 75 just to infinity - where the range finder
images line up - the infinity image is slightly out of focus. You need to
crank the lens to its infinity stop and then the Hexar rangefinder image is
slightly out of alignment (beyond infinity) but the image on the film is
sharp. To me this is just funny given all the recent brouhaha on the LUG
about back focus discrepancies between the Hexar and the M6!! Luggers may
remember Leica changed the rangefinder on my M6HMTTL when the rangefinder
wouldn't hold alignment and perhaps there is some misadjustment in the
focussing cam. I think I will take in the M6HM TTL and the 75 to my friend
Ernest Cheung at Schmidt and have the two mated to be accurate. Isn't Life
strange. :)
Cheers,
Howard.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: HexarRF and Leica Lens Compatibility - A Strange World)